Get Winter Ready
As the weather gets colder, ensuring that your home is warm and safe becomes a top priority.
Here are some tips to help prepare for the winter season:
Test your heating
Before winter arrives, make sure your central heating system is working correctly. Run it for at least 30 minutes to ensure that your radiators heat up as they should. This will help identify and resolve any issues before winter sets in.
Managing winter expenses
We understand the need to keep your home warm while keeping energy costs low. Our Income Team can provide advice and support to help you maximize your income and access grants and vouchers to offset energy expenses. Find your Income Officer by clicking here.
In case of frozen or burst pipes, contact us immediately on 01387321400 and turn off the water supply at the stop cock. Use towels to minimize water damage.
Other tips to keep in mind:
- Report any blocked or broken gutters.
- Ensure your ventilation systems (kitchen and bathroom fans) are functioning properly.
- Know the location of your stop cock and how to turn off the water supply if necessary.
- Check for any dripping taps.
- Report any signs of damp and mold immediately.
- Keep furniture away from radiators to improve heat circulation.
- Have a torch handy in case of a power outage.
- Stay informed about the weather forecast and plan accordingly.
- Keep an eye out for vulnerable friends, family, and neighbors.
- Order repeat prescriptions in advance to avoid running out.
Stay safe and warm this winter!