Safety in your home
We care about keeping you safe and comfortable in your home
From gas checks to tips on fire safety, here you'll find information on how we can work together to keep your home safe, warm and secure.
Each year, we carry out a variety of checks on your home
Most of these are required by law, so it's important that you allow us access to your property to carry them out.
These checks include:
Keeping you safe is our top priority and our Compliance team work hard to make sure your home is maintained to a high standard.
Safety maintenance in your home
Remember, all of our staff and contractors carry identification - as do those that work for the Council, Water Boards etc. If anyone calls at your home, it's a good idea to ask to see identification before you let them in. If you are at all suspicious, telephone the police on 101 and give us a call on 01387 321 300.
Keeping your home safe & secure
Just taking these simple steps can make a big difference in keeping your home safe from burglary:
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you’re just out in the garden
- Close doors to communal blocks behind you and avoid holding doors open for people waiting to come into the building when you’re on your way out
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox
- Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied
- Make sure the fences around your garden are in good repair and that side/rear gates are kept locked
- Keep ladders and tools stored away; don’t leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home
- Improve the natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor window