Mutual Exchange

As a Loreburn customer you are eligible to mutually exchange properties with any other social landlord tenant as long as certain conditions are met and both Landlords agree in writing to the exchange taking place.

Most mutual exchanges take place between two tenancies, however, exchanges involving more than two tenants (3-way or multiple exchanges) can also be arranged on request.

The Main Conditions For Exchanges Are:

  • neither tenant currently has rent arrears,
  • each tenant has a satisfactory tenancy record,
  • the properties involved in the swap are suitable, meaning they are the correct size and type of property for the people who will be moving into them.

How To Find A Possible Exchange:

  • Word of mouth - you could ask friends, family or neighbours, as someone may know of a tenant who is looking for a property like yours.
  • Facebook - there are many for sale and wanted groups on Facebook. You can advertise and search for Mutual Exchanges if you are a member of one of these groups.
  • Homes4D&G have a list of local tenants looking for suitable exchanges on their website.  If you would like to advertise your property for a swap or you would just like to have a browse through the properties which are currently available for a swap, you can do so for free on the Homes4DG website.  
  • Lastly, you can register your property on the Homeswapper website. 

I Have Found A Suitable Swap, What Should I Do Next?

Once you have identified a suitable swap, Loreburn require both parties to complete a Mutual Exchange Application Form in order to request permission. Guidance Notes are available.  Additionally, if you are wishing to swap with a tenant from another social landlord, both parties will also be required to request and complete their forms.

Once an application has been recieved we will visit you at your property and complete a home visit and a property inspection.  If there is another landlord involved we will liase with them and mutually agree whether the swap can go ahead.

Please remember if you are interested in an exchange, you must not move until you have permission from your landlord in writing.