Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need building insurance for my home?

No, your home is covered by Loreburn’s own insurance if the structure of the building is damaged by things such as fire or flood.  However, internal decoration and any personal belongings including all floor coverings, are not.  It is your responsibility to arrange cover for these types of items against accidental damage, loss or theft.  Loreburn will not provide financial assistance in the event that you have not arranged adequate insurance for your possessions.

We strongly recommend that our customers purchase Household Contents Insurance and as an incentive Loreburn will give new customers £10 upon providing proof that insurance has been taken out on their home.

Who is responsible for pests in my property?

Pest control is the responsibility of our customers.  If you find that you have an issue with vermin in or around your property you should contact Environmental Health Department of Dumfries & Galloway Council, or alternatively arrange for a private pest control agency to alleviate the problem.    

Loreburn will not attend to remove or destroy any pests or vermin. However in some cases if the pests are entering the property through a common area, or there is a breach of the building's structure where the pests are gaining entry, we will attend and fix this, but you will still be responsible for eradicating the pests within your own property.

Please be aware some animals/birds are protected, therefore there are limitations to what can be done, for example if you have nesting birds in or around your roof space legally these cannot be disturbed until they have flown, contact Environmental Health for more information.

I have lost my keys; does Loreburn have a spare set?

Once you have signed your tenancy agreement Loreburn will hand over all sets of keys to you. We do not keep any spare or additional sets.  Once a property has been assigned to you, you become responsible for its security therefore if you happen to lose your keys, you will need to arrange for a joiner to change the locks.

We recommend that you give a spare key to a reliable family member or close friend, so that in the event something does happen you do not need to spare the expense of changing the locks.

Do I have an allocated parking space?

Loreburn has a number of developments which have shared car parking areas, some of these have parking permits allocated but none have allocated spaces for individual properties.  All Loreburn carparks work on a first come basis, regardless of whether a space is closer to one property than another or whether a certain tenant has parked there for years.  If you are having a parking dispute at your development please contact your Neighbourhood Officer.

Can I apply for a disabled parking bay to be added outside my house?

Yes you can as long as you or a member of your household is a blue badge holder. You will be required to complete an application form with Dumfries and Galloway Council as they assess whether an allocated space is required and will be responsible for completing the work, you will also need to request written permission from Loreburn prior to the space being made to ensure there are no reasons why this work would not be allowed.

Please note even if you request the disabled parking space it will not be ‘your’ personal parking space, anybody with a valid disability badge will have the right to park their vehicle in it, even if it is outside your property.